Combine two of the most festive flavors—chocolate and peppermint—with the nutrition powerhouse that is avocado, and you’re in for a serious treat that’s seriously healthy.
The holidays are a time for gatherings, gifts, ugly sweaters, and feasting. While you should have ZERO guilt about enjoying your favorite foods, some of which you probably only have this time of year, there is such a thing as too much of a good (read: sugary) thing. (Evidence: What sugar does to your body, from head to toe.) This healthy dessert solves that problem, so you can experience one of the best holiday flavors (peppermint), without going into sugar overdrive.
This chocolate mousse has a rich and creamy taste that comes from one of the heart-healthiest fruits—the avocado. You won’t find any heavy cream in this recipe. Not only do avocados have a velvety, luxurious texture when blended, but they’re loaded with folate, potassium, and antioxidants. Their abundance of healthy fats and fiber will help keep you full longer, and avocados have also been shown to improve cognitive health.
If you’ve never had a dessert made with avocado (you’re missing out), don’t worry—this sweet recipe still tastes like dessert (not guacamole). Plus, you probably don’t need anyone to tell you that adding peppermint crunch to the top of food is going to make anything taste better. Go ahead, eat it all, and lick the bowl.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse with Peppermint Crunch
Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 tablespoon semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 candy cane
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and warm for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 15 seconds. Repeat until chips are melted.
- Add melted chocolate chips, avocados, cocoa powder, agave, milk, and vanilla to a food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon into a small bowl or mason jar.
- Place candy cane in a sealed plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin until it’s broken into small pieces. Sprinkle crumbled candy on top of chocolate mousse.