PHOTO CREDIT: KAT TEUTSCH; FOOD STYLING BY SUSAN VAJARANANT; PROP STYLING BY MARINA MALCHIN
These adorable cupcakes are sure to warm your sweetie’s heart and stomach!
Mini paper liners
c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. unsweetened dark cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
4 large egg whites
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate
Royal Icing and Decorations
3 large egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
Red gel food coloring
Red, pink, and white medium nonpareils
Red, pink, and white sugar hearts
PREP TIME: 0:15
TOTAL TIME: 0:25
- To make the cupcakes: Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 24-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy, then whisk in the oil, and vanilla. Add the egg white mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate.
- Divide the batter among the lined muffin cups and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks. Decorate as desired.
- To make the icing: Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the sugar, beating until just incorporated. Increase the speed to high and beat until medium-stiff glossy peaks forms, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Separate into bowls and tint different colors. Transfer 1/3 of each color to separate pastry bags fitted with fine tips. Use a few drops of water to thin the icing remaining in the bowls for flooding: place in separate resealable bags; snip off the corners.
- Using the thicker icing, outline the lovebug wings on the cupcakes, then flood using the thinner icing. Decorate while the icing is still wet. For multiple colors, let each icing dry before applying another.