Want to learn how to cross stitch? Get started by following these easy instructions.
1. Center aida fabric in embroidery hoop. (Country Living‘s free patterns use 16-count aida fabric.)
2. Cut a length of embroidery floss approximately 12 inches long.
3. Embroidery floss is made up of six strands. Most cross-stitch patterns use two strands at a time. After cutting thread, carefully split off two strands and thread it through a tapestry needle.
4. Following the pattern, begin stitching from left to right. To stitch a row with the same-colored thread, start at the back of the fabric and bring the needle to the front (at #1) leaving a tail at the back of the fabric. As you begin stitching, hold the tail against the back of the fabric so the first few stitches catch the tail and secure it.
5. Pull the thread taught, then pass it through to the back of the fabric (at #2). Pass the needle to the front of the fabric (at #3), and then to the back of the fabric (at #4). Continue creating a row of diagonal half stitches moving from left to right in the same direction. Once you finish the row of half stitches, continue from right to left creating the completed cross-stitches.
6. Switch to a new piece of thread when a few inches of thread remain on your needle. Turn your work over and pull the needle through a few stitches on the back to secure, then cut off the remaining thread. Begin the next stitch with a new piece of thread.
Tip: Working with metallic embroidery floss can be tricky. To make stitching easier, try using a thread conditioner or beeswax.
7. To create a single stitch or a vertical row of stitches, bring needle from the back to the front of the fabric (see #1). Pull taught, then pass it to the back through the fabric (at #2). Complete the cross by passing the needle up through the fabric (at #3) and then to the back of the fabric (at #4).
Want to make getting started easy? Purchase a Country Living Cross Stitch Kit subscription at easy123art.com! The $120 subscription fee gets you everything you need to start stitching away, including:
- 10 Country Living Cross Stitch Kits a year
- Free shipping
- Special discounts and coupons for Country Living Cross Stitch collections and other Country Living Cross Stitch products.
- 5% discount on all Country Living Paint by number kits throughout the membership.
- Canvas carrying tote.
Each month’s kit is also for sale individually at easy123art.com/shop for $15 each. You can find Country Living‘s free monthly cross stitch patterns here.