Cinnamon is one of those spices that are perfect for autumn, or really any time of year. And if you’re looking for a killer breakfast recipe, this recipe for cinnamon chip scones is sure to be a hit!
If you’ve never made scones before, it’s not as hard as it looks. I always assumed it was just one of those baked goods that were too hard to create myself, but I decided to give it a go and I am so glad I did! It was super easy and I was so proud of the end result. Ready to try your first scone recipe? Better add this one to your recipe book!
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cinnamon chips. You should be able to find these in the baking aisle year round
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder
- Next, slice your butter into pieces and toss into flour mixture
- Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbles
- Stir in the cinnamon chips…Yum!
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream, egg and vanilla and add to dry mixture. Stir until fully mixed. The mixture will be a bit crumbly.
- Flour your counter and dump out the mixture. Using your hands and a rolling pin, work the dough into a large rectangle.
- Next, it’s time to make your topping for the scones. Mix the topping ingredients, as listed above and pour onto the surface of your scones and lightly pat down until covered. If you don’t want your scones overly sweet, you could totally skip the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into wedges.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake scones for 20-25 minutes.
And voila! Scones for breakfast anyone?