When fall arrives, so do delicious meals like chili! This slow cooker turkey chili recipe is perfect because other vegetables and ingredients can be added or eliminated according to people’s tastes. This recipe can be put together in the morning and be ready when you arrive home at night.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Sliced avocado and chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and onion.
- Cook 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, sweet peppers, chilies and garlic.
- Stir in coffee and wine.
- Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours. Stir in beans; cook 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Top servings with avocado and green onions.
We know what you’re thinking, the coffee and avocado seems odd… But it gives the recipe a unique flavor that we definitely recommend you try! If you or your families don’t like the spicy, tone down the green chilies. On the other hand, if you love spice, add jalepeño to really make it pop!