One of the way to foster a happy gut microbiome is to eat fermented foods. Fermented foods are rich in probiotics and can be highly nutritious additions to your diet. Fermented foods support digestive health, immunity, detoxification and overall well-being.
Here are some of the benefits of fermented foods:
- Detoxification support;
- Pre-digestion of foods making the nutrients more bioavailable
- Removal of anti-nutrients from foods (such as phytates, oxalic acid, etc.)
- Generation of additional nutrients (such as B vitamins, amino acids, etc.)
Water kefir is a probiotic beverage and it’s made using water kefir grains or a kefir starter culture. The primarily consist of this culture is lactic acid which produce bacteria and some beneficial yeasts.
Kefir is a dairy-based beverage traditionally made with cow’s milk. But, water kefir is completely dairy-free it can be prepared by using fruit juice, sugar water or coconut water. Kefir prepared with water is rich in enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Taking a small amount of this beverage is sweet way to boost your gut health.
Basic preparation of water kefir is to mix ½ cup of sugar in 4 cups of lukewarm water in a mason jar. You should also add some fresh or dried fruit, depending on your taste. Then add the kefir grains or kefir starter culture and let ferment for 1-2 day. Below you can see a water kefir recipe with more health benefits including two powerhouse anti-inflammatory ingredients: ginger and turmeric.
GINGER TURMERIC WATER KEFIR
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon peeled and freshly grated ginger root
- 3 cups raw coconut water
- 1 tablespoon peeled and freshly grated turmeric root or 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 packet water kefir starter
How to prepare:
- Add the orange juice and coconut water to a saucepan. Then slowly heat to lukewarm, or about 90ºF.
- Put the above prepared mixture into a quart-sized mason jar and then add the contents of one foil packet of kefir starter.
- After that add ginger and turmeric.
- You should stir to mix well all ingredients and the out the lid on mason jar.
- This mixture should ferment at a room temperature for about 24 hours.
- Taste it after 24 hours and lets sit for 12-24 hours for a tangier drink.
- When the flavor will be according to your taste, stir again, close the mason jar and place it into the refrigerator.
Recipe note: fermentation continues in the refrigerator but chilling will slow down the fermentation process. You can enjoy 2-3 weeks in drinking of this beverage.